Anyone for a first desent?

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Adrians
Anyone for a first desent?

Post by Adrians » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:45 pm

So after waking this morning keen to get some boating in after having a day of rugby yesterday I wasn't too sure what to do. After a quick phone call I established that the roads to Wicklow were kinda like...

Which seemed like an awefull lot of effort considering I was feeling a bit "tired and emotional" ;)

and seeing as my wee local play spot had a few "twigs" in it.....

That is a bit of a non runner.

So I decided to kill two birds with one stone, I brought the hound for a wee stroll while also having a look at a little known waterfall that to the very best of my knowledge has never been run. Its hidden way in forest, I hope to give it a go in the coming weeks all we need is a wee bit more water. So here is a few pictures to wet your appetite, with any luck there will be some footage of it with a kayak very soon.

As you can see its a S bend / two tier fall with a short rapid section below it.

The larger of the falls is about 15ft while the smaller (upper one) is about 8ft slide/fall. It is not overly deep but it all defiantly goes. I have seen this once before with what I would call epic water and its more than sporty at that level.

This is the view mid-way down the first section;

View of main fall, gives you some idea of the gradient;

Finally the short run out rapid to the get out.

Hopefully more to follow, watch this space!

Brian

Re: Anyone for a first desent?

Post by Brian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Im based close to Aughrim so give me a shout if youre ever thinking of taking a look at it.
Theres a super steep river not too far from me near the wexford border than ive been meaning to take a look at the last age, could be worth lookin at too.

Brian 08six three821521

EoinH

Re: Anyone for a first desent?

Post by EoinH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Have been scouting a few creeks in and around the Mournes over the past two months, don't know if they have all been run or not, Mick Reynolds said he'd done one or two of them...
No rivers from this area in the guide...yet!