Living in France/Italy for a few months

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Living in France/Italy for a few months

Post by Seanie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 pm

I'm looking to move to the continent for a few months, from May onwards. I'm looking for somewhere close to the Alps for kayaking, and also close to an airport that could get me to Dublin, CDG or Heathrow.

I would need a apartment with broad band so I could continue to work, but the main idea is that I get out paddling a fair bit and maybe meet up with some of ye when yer paddling out there.

Any suggestions on areas, ideas, tips etc.
Have any of you seasonally absconded to that region and continued to work?

Seanie

J.K.

Re: Living in France/Italy for a few months

Post by J.K. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:55 pm

I'd recommend getting in contact with Simon Westgarth.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:16 pm

wet-paint wrote:I'd recommend getting in contact with Simon Westgarth.
JK is most of Simon's summer work not in Slovina?

Seanie Lyon is not epiclly far from the Alps, you could also consider Grenoble where Ryan Air fly into? Louis has lived in Lyon and as for the an apt closer to the Alps you should be able to get lots but would not be anyway cheap.

Super jealous of you though.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 pm

He can advise him better than anyone I'd say.

canned

Post by canned » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:13 pm

jon hynes used to run trips out there too so might have some info

Louis

Post by Louis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:24 pm

Nice one Seanie on heading to France.

Its quare and cold out there in winter so don't forget the skiing/snowboarding gear as well as the kayaking gear.

Rob Coffey lived in Grenoble for a year also so it might be good to ask him what that place was like.

As for Lyon, broadband won't be a problem as they have a higher penetration rate than Ireland, no pun intended. Great standard of living though and great nightlife. Having a bit of French would help also but you should have no problems on that front I don't think.

Rob Coffey

Post by Rob Coffey » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Well the good news is the Alps are surrounded by large cities with good economic potential ie jobs.
The way I see it there are three main areas to base yourself:
Turin (Milan)
Grenoble(Lyon)
Annecy/ Geneva

All three have major attractions. The big question is if you can find enough work to make living in these areas possible, and then do you know enough people to do what you'd like to do. This can take time. I have friends living in all of these areas so give me a call 0872044792 if you want some more detail.

My overall take on it is that living in the Alps offers a far higher standard of living than Ireland, if you can get a decent job, but your social life will probably be quieter. Unless you go live in a ski resort, but that is another story..

Simon D Westgarth

Post by Simon D Westgarth » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:31 am

RJ Coffey has nailed most of the hotspots for year round living in the Western Alps with accessible airports and reasonable infrastructure. Torino is excellent, its a small city with lots of excellent services and accessible adventure in every direction. In the Annecy/Geneva area there are numerous international companies, although the paddling is marginal, and Grenoble its an excellent spring board to the mountains.

Yet all these places are not totally idea, in that the main action is higher in the hills, my point is that I would be where you can paddle or ski or bike out of the door, as you can go at a moments notice. The trip to the airport should be straight forward but does not need to be close by. Places such as Briancon, Verbier, Bourg Saint Maurice or Chamonix are ideal for this approach and all with their tourist infrastructure will have good broadband and transport links to major centres.

Lastly, although I have a house in Slovenia, I am only there in the early Spring and late Summer for now, as the Steep Creeking in Italy and Norway pull myself away for most of the paddling season, and then I away in the Autumn somewhere for paddling plus am in the UK for 8-10 weeks in the early Winter.