4 Days Of Irish WW

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

peakfreak
4 Days Of Irish WW

Post by peakfreak » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:28 pm

So I have a few days leave to take soon and I was thinking of heading over to Eire on a paddling trip.
I have 4 days to fill so what would you suggest?
My plan of attack would be, boat in car, drive onto ferry at Liverpool, drive off ferry at Dublin or Belfast from there head for the rivers. G3, day trips or several hour runs, park and play spots.
Ideally I would like to pass through Ballynamult/Dungarvan at some point as I have family in that area so I suppose I should call in to say hi.

jammamba

Re: 4 Days Of Irish WW

Post by jammamba » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:04 pm

I would head North to Scotland!! :o ..much more reliable water etc, but if you are heading over soon then keep an eye out on the weather and check if there's been any rain / is any forecast to give you an idea if there is going to be any water in the rivers. If you head into Dublin then if the rivers are too low Sluice (a play spot in Lucan) may be working..it has been for pretty much all the Summer due to the amount of rain etc (check liffeyreleases.com for a daily update).If there is water head to Wicklow, on the way to Dungarvan, and you should be able to get some good paddling in (Irish grade 3-5).The staple run is the Avonmore (Annamoe) into Laragh, which keeps water better / longer and is grade 2-3 (soft grade 4 drop at Jacksons).Other runs I would recommend depending on water include the Dargle, Upper Liffey, Glenmacnass and my favourite the Inchavore. All are short (couple of km runs with quick enough shuttles), apart form the Upper Liffey which ia about 8 km with an easy shuttle and the Inchavore (about 8km + a few Km paddle across a lake at the end) which has a long (approx 45 min-1 hour one way) shuttle...Then I guess it is hooking up with people to paddle, although if it wet and over the weekend this will not be a problem!! :mrgreen:

Altenatively bite the bullet and head down to Kerry for a few days!!

peakfreak

Re: 4 Days Of Irish WW

Post by peakfreak » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Ta muchly Jammamba, thats great information. It will probably be a short notice thing at the end of October, something like, check weather > rain forecast > book leave > go.