One Hit Wonders

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Colm
One Hit Wonders

Post by Colm » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Lately I've been having a lot of enquiries about kayaks and/or equipment for the Liffey Descent. When I enquire as to what type of paddling they do/intend doing, the response is usually just the Liffey Descent - full stop.

At first I found this quite hard to believe but lately I'm finding it is more of the norm.

Now there is not anything wrong with paddling once a year, but, if you are physically able to paddle and have access to the equipment, WHY ONLY PADDLE ONCE A YEAR?

Is it the fame of paddling in front of 100s of spectators and 1000s of fellow competitors? If it was for the competitive aspect then surely you would also compete in the marathon/ww series...

Answers on a can of worms...

dave f

Re: One Hit Wonders

Post by dave f » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Colm,

Noticed something similar myself. Covering sweep on lower liffey last week and it was appaling to see the number of people capsizing under Leixlip bridge. The flow was fairly small & benign, you'd swear some of them were paddling the Durance in flood. Many of them I spoke with (as I helped fish them out) mentioned the lower liffey was their trial run for the descent...:shock: Then there was the time one competitor fished out of Palmerstown by WWKC in last years descent who said he didn't even know how to swim :o I'm beginning to think that these people don't really understand what they're taking on...

All the best

Dave