comming for a visit

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

terrykayak
comming for a visit

Post by terrykayak » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 am

Hello All... Heading your way to paddle after the 1st of the year and wanted to know when to best time to come might be. Beta shows that in the month of Feb. there is a 77% chance of rain every day... that sounds good?... right? Average temp is low but we live in North Idaho so drysuits are worn 9 months a year. Any info would be great... THANKS!!!
terry

dave g

Re: comming for a visit

Post by dave g » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 am

paddling in ireland is a lottery. winter months are the wettest but whats important is not the frequency of rain but the intensity. all irish rivers are "spate" rivers needing half an inch or more in one go to bring them to a runnable level. face book is a good source of info. try the pages for irish freestyle and whitewater race league and local ones for where you plan to go.
(cork kerry paddle community, galway mayo paddle community etc)

EoinH

Post by EoinH » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi Terry,

I agree with Dave, it is a bit of a lottery trying to plan a paddling trip to Ireland! The paddling season tends to be best from September through to March. That being said our winters are hit and miss and rainfall levels can vary quite a lot. I suggest coming over without any specific plan and trying to make a few contacts in the south west and west who can let you know what rivers are running where.

The greatest concentration of good whitewater is in the Co. Cork/Co. Kerry area (south west). Even if it's not raining in that area there are a lot of fun things to do outdoors, like mountain biking, climbing, surfing, hill walking etc.

If you pm me closer to the time your coming over I will try and put you in touch with some people. ;)

Eoin

Expat Chris

Post by Expat Chris » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:51 am

Hi, the South Munster crowd has a view (Cork and Kerry), but I can guarantee we'll be running the Shannon from Castleconnell most Sundays at 10:00 am. Check the river list on this site for more information. I'm new and run it in a creeker, but most people seem to have a great time in play boats.

If you don't have a boat for this trip, I'd probably contact i-canoe in Dublin for a rental.

Cheers

haneeya

Post by haneeya » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 am

Hi All

Wanted Irish photos of surf kayaking and wave ski to gather a collection together of the rich heritage and history of Paddlesurf in Ireland. If possible give name of photographer and paddler in photo. We will post photos online when done
We offer best quality esixsigma test papers and coloradomesa.edu dumps materials. You can get our 100% guaranteed questions clarku to help you in passing the real exam. Keene State College