Steep Creeks Comp???

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Steep Creeks Comp???

Post by Seanie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:08 pm

So I decided that this would be a cool thing to happen this Winter, so I gave Graham Clarke a call, he ran this type of competition before and is interested in giving a hand if we hold one.
So what is it?
Grab some mates, grab a creekboat and grab some gradient. The team with the most amount of vertical feet by the end date win.
How I reckon we should do it is to keep it cheap, free entry, one prize (medals or some crap) and keep it simple.

For more info on this type of Comp. check:
http://www.steepcreeks.com/tvfc.html
http://steepcreeks.blogspot.com/

I was thinking of putting together an online system, where teams can register and log their team and log their runs.

SO....should we do it?

PS if the summer keeps up the weather we might get an early start :mrgreen:

Seanie

Re: Steep Creeks Comp???

Post by Seanie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:33 pm

So what i plan on doing is popping up a list of rules (lets keep it simple please) and see what people think.

I was also playing around with the idea having a university class. Multiple teams form all the Uni's and IT's from around the country could take part. With no limit to the numbers of teams a college can have.

mickeyb

Post by mickeyb » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:59 pm

Will there be classes like international, national etc

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:43 am

Dunno...should there be? I'm not even sure about the idea of uni teams now... :mrgreen:

What do you think?

canned

Post by canned » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Going international probably makes it more complicated... And, this is an Irish whitewater site so maybe as a vessel to promote the site and Irish kayaking it'd be nice to stick to Irish runs?

Definitely think a university class would be good. I'm just back from Norway where we didn't go nuts for the big drops but met plenty of people from other universities and got a feeling for the differences in ability between them all. A bit of competition between them can only encourage a raise in skill levels.....

mike jones

Post by mike jones » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:21 pm

Great Idea
I talked to Graham about this a couple of years ago and think it would be a great way to get people out boating and to find out whats running a when.
If you are interested we could use the event formally know as riverfest in april as a finish date and give out the prizes etc there.
Also i think it should only be irish rivers included, this keeps it fair.
Keep up the good work on the site
mike

John Healy

Post by John Healy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:32 am

Sounds good!

Count me in if it goes ahead!

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Hope it will, my busy spell has now turned into a drinking too much spell....so it might take a wee bit longer to get it set up. :)

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:28 pm

Seanie,

I know you have loads of time on your hands!!! So you mush have gotten around to getting this sorted by now? :roll:

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:01 am

Oh god, yeah I put loads of time into it...but then i well forgot or got unenthusiastic about it or something (insert random excuses here). But there is some good ish news on that front, I've F'd my shoulder up so I'll have loads of spare time in the coming weeks.

I'll make another stab at it. I have the sytem nearly put inplace for registering teams, adding runs, leaderboard etc. As soon as its kinda working I might ask ye to give it a test and give me feed back.

I must get onto Clarkey to give me a hand with some of the organisational stuff.

Other than that, all i need is some more kicks in the arse to getting going... :D

PS. Just did about another hour on it, I'd say anther 4 hours work and we'll be ready for some testing.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Good skills Seanie!

Is there bonous points for use of a play boat?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm back at this again, it might take a wee bit longer than I had thought.