Talking sense: "Put up or shut up!" [Split]

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

talkin sense
Talking sense: "Put up or shut up!" [Split]

Post by talkin sense » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:16 pm

To canoekayak - now i begin to understand the meaning of the term troll - what a petty small minded individual you show yourself to be. It is clear that your concern is about an individual rather than what is or is not for the good of the sport of canoeing. Attempting to make this personal really shows you rather than anybody else up. Have you never heard the expression "shit happens!" ? I have no idea as to what happened but hey guess what - shit happens! Get over your personal antipathy and talk about the content of the ADM instead. Either put yourself up for election or put up a meaningful motion. Put up or shut up!

Seanie

Re: Canoeing Ireland AGM

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:55 pm

talkin sense wrote:Either put yourself up for election or put up a meaningful motion. Put up or shut up!
Are these things mutually exclusive? Why are you afraid of criticism and discussion?
talkin sense wrote:what a petty small minded individual you show yourself to be
What is petty or small minded about concerns about how the Canoeing NGO is run?
talkin sense wrote:Get over your personal antipathy...
Pot, there is some one I would like you to meet. His name is kettle...

talkin sense

Post by talkin sense » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Seanie it's simple! What is petty and small minded is focussing on a single individual. As I say I have no idea how or why what happened happened but it happened. What is more important to canoekayak - getting things right or seeking to criticise an individual for the kind of thing that could happen anybody? Like I say - shit happens! Maybe accepting that shit happens, moving on and focussing on the future instead of the past is more constructive than constantly trying to find fault with an individual.

The fact that shit happened in this case is actually to the benefit of those who seek to constantly find fault - they have been given a second opportunity to put their names forward for election and/or to put up motions for debate. Surely they should jump at that opportunity instead of criticising it. It is so easy to criticise from the sidelines but oh so much harder to engage. Whether I agree or disagree with those who have put their names forward for election or the content of the motions that have been proposed I have to credit those who put their names up or behind motions for having the courage to subject themselves to scrutiny. Perhaps you should consider going for election yourself Seanie?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:23 am

talkin sense wrote:The fact that shit happened in this case is actually to the benefit of those who seek to constantly find fault - they have been given a second opportunity to put their names forward for election and/or to put up motions for debate. Surely they should jump at that opportunity instead of criticising it. It is so easy to criticise from the sidelines but oh so much harder to engage. Whether I agree or disagree with those who have put their names forward for election or the content of the motions that have been proposed I have to credit those who put their names up or behind motions for having the courage to subject themselves to scrutiny.
Wouldn't it a be shit system if no one could say anything unless they were willing to get elected? Sure, people shouldn't be picked on. However, the criticism is either valid or its not, that should be the benchmark.

And I've pointed out to you before that over the last few weeks and over the years I've been told exactly what you're saying to other members of this forum. Effectively saying shut up, put yourself up for a vote, etc. And what you've outlined is the same thing(eerily similar in fact). If we were to follow your recommendation it would remove any sort of discussion, because at its core any discussion or motion, or any change will be predicated upon an experience/issue/problem with people or a person at its core.
talkin sense wrote:Perhaps you should consider going for election yourself Seanie?
I have in the past.

If you think that an open discussion isn't ok, fine. You have made your point. But everyone is allowed have there say here. That wont stop anytime soon. The principals of open, honest communication and the freedom of information are proven, its settled science. There are one or two caveats to that (libel, personal information, etc.), but criticism of how poorly an adult or a board of adults is at doing their job is not a covered by this.

talkin sense

Post by talkin sense » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Seanie it's not about free speech nobody has any desire to restrict free speech. While there is a democratic right to free speech and people are welcome to exercise that right there is also a democratic right to be bored silly by the same monotonous and unproductive whingeing about the same issues over and over and over again! I choose to exercise my right to be bored brainless reading the comments of people who have nothing constructive to offer on anything. How do these people ever manage to achieve anything if they cannot let go of the past and look to the future? They have been presented with a golden opportunity to put themselves forward and demonstrate their proposals for the future. Instead of that we hear the same old same old again and again.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxzz

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Note: I've split this debate from the other thread, as they are two different subjects. The other one is about the ICU ADM, this one is about discussing the merits of "let[ting] go of the past and look to the future".

Talking Sense, your posts are devoid of any wisdom or anything else that would add anything to the discussion, your last post is perfect illustration of this. And I don't hold out much hope, it's a complete waste of time discussing or debating anything with someone who is so self assured of their own present and future correctness that there user name is "talkin sense".

talkin sense

Re: Talking sense: "Put up or shut up!" [Split]

Post by talkin sense » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 pm

Aah now there's the Seanie we have all come to know and love - so predictable - when all else fails revert to the insults. How predictable - another naysayer with nothing useful to contribute - just insults but no ideas - how boring............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

paupier

Post by paupier » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

talkin sense wrote:now i begin to understand the meaning of the term troll
SNAP!!!

Ariane

Post by Ariane » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 pm

ah lads, get a room! ;)