Canoeing Ireland AGM

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Canoeing Ireland AGM

Post by Seanie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:28 pm

paupier wrote: Which rules do you mean Seanie? The 3 months or the Individual members?
Individual members came in at the 2011 ADM (one in which Pat was elected).
Sorry, I should have been explicit. The three months.

paupier

Post by paupier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm

It was a motion for the 2011 ADM (50th ADM)
The Board
3.1 This ADM resolves as follows:
That with effect from the 51st ADM all individual Members will each have their own
personal vote and that with a view to maintaining the existing voting ratios the
number of votes available to clubs be consequently be increased by a factor of ten.
Which was passed and not altered (to the best of my memory).

kev

Post by kev » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:28 pm

The three month rule has been the case for ages for the club vote.

My understanding is that it means if a club is currently registered with the ICU for all of or a period of the three months before the agm they are entitled to vote etc. Thats how its been applied in the past anyway

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Where is thats recored in the ICU Articles of Association? And even if it in the ICU Articles of Association is it legal? (spoiler, I dont think it is).

On another company law tangent; Is it legal for ICU board members that were not elected at the ADM to become directors of the company?

canoekayak

Post by canoekayak » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:37 pm

And to add to that, the only M&A's lodged with the CRO are 1986!

paupier

Post by paupier » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Does anyone have a more recent version of the Memo & Articles? The only version on canoe.ie are from 2009...

paddymcc

Post by paddymcc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:31 pm

Why have the Number of Places up for Election Been cut by 2 Since the Fist Notice?

First AGM Notice https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1BGF35 ... pqdkk/edit

New Notice: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1BGF35 ... VYMk0/edit

canoekayak

Post by canoekayak » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:20 pm

Unless its a typo, could it be the case that the board that remains have got 2 more like minded people to join them? i.e co-opted on.

Interestingly neither the TDU or Surf chair were even notified of the board meeting referred to in Mr Dunnes notice.

I understand there have been a lot of calls to the ISC today as people have lost faith in the organisation and the good news is they are quite supportive of the members concerns.

More to follow :?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:54 pm

paddymcc wrote:Why have the Number of Places up for Election Been cut by 2 Since the Fist Notice?

First AGM Notice https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1BGF35 ... pqdkk/edit

New Notice: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1BGF35 ... VYMk0/edit
This reminds me of the 2009 ICU AGM (Karl Dunne the ICU GM was ICU Secretary at the time). There were two identical/generic executive positions open. Mysteriously the people nominated for executive postion 1 and executive postion 2 were expected to pick which postion they were running for (1 or 2). This was not communicated or recorded anywhere until during the AGM. This resulted in an outgoing ICU executive running uncontested for executive postion 2 and everyone else being put in the election for executive committee 1 (as they did not specify which postion they wanted to run for...). However, this format was objected to vigorously during the AGM and one election for both positions was run in the end.

It's worth noting that the very same ICU board member that was put into his own uncontested election by the CEO/Board was the very same ICU board member who backdated and signed the ex-CEO's contract after the fact, the contract that ultimately got the CEO fired.

There was more shenanigans too, changing the agenda around so they could remove the term limits, allowing executive members to sit on the board beyond 6 years, etc.. You can read my account of how they played out here:
http://forum.iww.ie/viewtopic.php?t=329#p1291

canoekayak

Post by canoekayak » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 am

You can't just reissue a notice for a postponed ADM, never mind change the rules.

The best they could hope to gain from the situation would be an increase in nominations as the 2 new members would be incumbent and as a result can be nominated by the board which would be good for them given the fact only a few clubs support them and in some cases not even their own.

Still have to get voted in though.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:48 pm

What has happened isn't ideal, we can all agree on that. I've been one fairly out spoken about things that have happened up to now but I do think the decision not to hold the ADM was the correct one.

According to the M&A's the monitions and nominations are to be published x days before the ADM (14/10 I think), for what ever reason this hasn't happened. So the ADM couldn't go ahead and even if it did anything decided at it could be called into question / deemed invalid.

I would like to know what the correct notice was not give and I think appropriate action should be taken against the cause of this delay. I think the current board who are reduced in numbers have some questions to answer on this issue.

As an aside from this postponement I would like to hear that thoughts of the current nominees for the exec about the current CI situation and what they will add to it CI and it's membership.

I have had a chance to talk to the two presidential candidates and they are both good men, they both bring allot to the table and both have allot to offer Canoe Ireland in their own way.

paupier

Post by paupier » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Adrians wrote: According to the M&A's the monitions and nominations are to be published x days before the ADM (14/10 I think), for what ever reason this hasn't happened. So the ADM couldn't go ahead and even if it did anything decided at it could be called into question / deemed invalid.
Adrian, the relevant M&A's are:

A period of 35 days notice of any Annual Delegate Meeting specifying the
place and nature of the business to be transacted shall be given in the
manner hereinafter mentioned to such persons as are under these Articles
or under the Act are entitled to receive such notices from the Union.

Prior to the day appointed for the commencement of an Annual Delegate
Meeting, the following procedures shall apply in relation to nominations and
motions

i) Any nomination proposed by an Affiliated Club and duly seconded by
one or more Affiliated Clubs together with such information as the
Board may stipulated shall be notified to the Honorary Secretary in
writing not less than 21 days before an Annual Delegate Meeting.

(iv) motion may be put forward by any two members provides (i) it
deals with a single subject (ii) it is notified to the Secretary in
writing not less than 21 days before the Annual Delegate Meeting
(iii) it is approved by the Board or an Affiliated Club and (iv) it is
duly countersigned by the Chairman of the Board or the Affiliated
Club which approved the motion.

(v) The Board may alter or amend any motion which offends against the
Articles of the Union but not otherwise, and may composite any two
or more motions which, in the opinion of the Board constitutes in
substance the same motion or which deals with the same subject matter and is to the same effect.
The Board shall inform, in writing,any Affiliated Club whose motion is altered,
amended or composited in accordance with this article and shall then arrange
for the final Annual Delegate Meeting agenda to be prepared and made public
not later than 14 days before
the commencement of an Annual
Delegate Meeting.

Notice of the AMD were given on the 31st Jan 2013. As per the original letter of Notice
Nominations for the following positions should be forwarded to the offices of Canoeing Ireland no later than
close of business on Monday 25th February 2013.
Although this deadline was only 14 days before the ADM, no attempt was made by the board to correct this.
Even though from the very onset this itself could have been grounds to invalidate the ADM, it was only 2 days before the ADM that this was noticed. I find this hard to believe and frankly quiet ridiculous.

Adrians

Post by Adrians » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:23 pm

Cheers for posting that Paul and I share your frustration.

I would very much like to know why the board as it stands let this current situation arrive, I will try make inquiries tomorrow to see if I can get any information on this tomorrow.

There can be no valid reason (beyond some unknown last minute extraordinary circumstances?) that I can think of as to why this situation was allowed to develop, there was certainly adequate time to have things right.

As I said I would love to hear those nominated for exec positions to share their thoughts on this and others issues facing CI.