Beginner

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

cosmo
Beginner

Post by cosmo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I am Interested in getting into Kayaking/Canoeing in the leixlip area.I was hoping for a few pointer.Do i join a club..What type a Kayak/Canoe should i buy for the liffey.What shops do you recommend.Any advise would be great.

Cheers

Seanie

Re: Beginner

Post by Seanie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:51 am

Join a club, there are list of clubs here:
http://www.canoe.ie/HomeInfo/Membership ... fault.aspx

And you should read this information about starting kayaking.
http://www.canoe.ie/Training/GettingSta ... fault.aspx

Kav

Post by Kav » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 am

I think Lir Canoe Club are based around there. They are probably listed in the link above.

annie

Post by annie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:06 pm

Join a club before buying any gear is my 2c.

dave f

Post by dave f » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi Cosmo,

All the advice you have been given here is great advice. I would also add that some clubs are only interested in a few disciplines in Kayaking while others are represented in all disciplines. You have Salmon Leap opposite Hewlett Packard in Leixlip, but they are mainly a racing club....that may not be of interest to you.

I would recommend doing a beginners course at Irish Canoe Union (ICU link at the top right of this web page) and you will be given all the information you need. You will be given pointers and get a chance to see many of the different kayaking / canoeing disciplines. Only then should you think about equipment.

In the meantime 2 x important tips. Don't buy any gear and don't go on the water without appropriate training & supervision.

hope to you see you on the water soon

Dave