Canoeing Ireland - An analysis by Mark Clinton

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Adrians
Canoeing Ireland - An analysis by Mark Clinton

Post by Adrians » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

I know Seanie posted this information in the other thread but I think it's worth while giving it a thread of it's own thread and try generate some quality focused debate, thoughts and ideas on his suggest restructure.

For those who don;t know Mark Clinton was a member of the ex board of CI and was voted in at an AGM.

This was sent to all clubs in recent days, from what it is worth in having read this and done a fair amount of research I would say that's Mark's account is a fair and true of what has happened to date.
Dear Club Secretary,

As the situation develops in Canoeing Ireland I am mindful of the absence of any direct communication
between the Board or General Manager of Canoeing Ireland and the affiliated clubs and as a result
I feel having been directly elected to the board and Executive in November 2011 the least I should do is
explain to those who elected me why I resigned on December 12th last.

Kind Regards.

Mark Clinton
There is more information to be read here by the Irish Sports Council and their suggest structure for NGB's. I believe bring us in line with ISC guidelines and a restructured board CI will be better equipped to serve all it's members and be far more accountable than it currently is.
APPENDIX 1
Motion 1. That the membership resolves to replace paragraph 4 8 o f t h e M e m o & A r ti c l e s o f t h e I r i s h Canoe Union with the following paragraph with immed iate effect.
Unless otherwise determined by ordinary resolution at an Annual Delegate Meeting , the union’s board of management shall consist of the Executive and the following elected members.
Dublin Rep Leinster Rep Munster Rep Connaught \ Ulster Rep Olympic High Performance Rep Non-Olympic High Performance Rep Recreational Sport Rep.
It further resolves that hereafter all board members will serve for a period of two years and that each member will become a director of the company. The board will nominate from within its members a Child Protection Officer and an Access & Environment Officer .

NOTE: The President at the first meeting of the board will appoint a Secretary, Treasurer Child Protection Officer and Access & Environment Officer the remaining elected officers would then be allocated specific roles such as Corporate Governance reform, Strategic Planning, Club Development. The High Performance Rep could be allocated the task in addition to the Olympic brief the development of competitive sport throughout the club structure. The Recreational Sport Rep could be tasked with coordinating a national canoe trails policy and the No- Olympic High Performance Rep could be tasked with guiding a completely new coaching initiative. All board members will serve a minimum term of two years and be directors of the company. The President will arrange a board rotation system that will eventually arrive at a situation where at least 25% of its membership is changed at every ADM thus ensuring continuity of corporate memory. The principle here is that all board members will have a role on which they can plan and report to the board on. This ensures that the board is completely accountable and focused on building an effective and successful organisation.
That would be a proposed motion to restructure CI.

I know these kinda debates people are often inclined not to speak up / post their ideas on the topic as they feel they aren't 'around long enough' or not really bothered what CI does, I would urge everyone to have your voice heard here. As by the time the 9th of March comes it will be too late to give new suggestions.

Yes CI is currently broken but we can take this as a chance to fix it restructuring it to be an organisation that serves everyone better and encourages others to take up paddle sports of all disciplines.

Adrian
Attachments
CanoeIrelandAnAnalysis4.pdf
(87.29KiB)Downloaded 522 times