Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Irela

Post by Seanie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Looks like I spoke too soon.
Report reason: Other
Reported by tadhgmac « Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 am

The comment is defamatory-The publication or broadcast of any libelous or slanderous statement about an individual or business that can be proven to be false and published with the intention of harming that entity's reputation is considered to be defamation. Online defamation is the publication of such statements made on any Internet based media including blogs, forums, websites, and even social networking websites.
Please deal with this and the preceding post.
I edited two posts as a result of a complaint I've received from Tadhg MacIntyre, an ICU board member. It's not something I wanted to do, I would have preferred if the individuals involved could have come to an agreement themselves.
- Post 1
- Post 2

However, for expediency and fairness I removed the text in question. This edit is made without any judgement as to the validity of any of the partys claims.

I hope we can move forward and discuss the issues at hand, substantiating claims where necessary. And in some cases drawing a distinction for clarity and not painting the entire ICU board with the same brush (ie. "the ICU board" vs. "some members of the ICU board").

If you have any questions or concerns as to the moderation or content of the forum, please feel free to contact me. Or even better start a discussion about it on the forum.

best,
Seanie

Brendan

Post by Brendan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 pm

RoShaw,
Just of couple of factual corrections;

Freestyle is funded by CI, last year they recieved €3,000.00. This is the same amount that all of the technical disciplines received, including the TDU. The committees of the technical disciplines decide how they will allocate their funding.
The whitewater league comes under the remit of freestyle at the moment, thus it is recognized.

And Canoe Ireland now operates on a one person one vote system. But if very few people show up to the AGM/ADM, and are generally apathetic towards the organisation, then the organisation will reflect this.

Regards,
Brendan Barry

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Brendan wrote:And Canoe Ireland now operates on a one person one vote system.
Technically correct. But an entire room of people can be (and have been) out voted by one person utilizing some of the perfectly allowable voting loopholes that the ICU has:
- Educational/training organizations to vote on behalf of a customers/students that became a member through them. These members might only have signed up for a week long introductory course, and have no affiliation with the organization anymore.
- Youth clubs who have suspicious number of adult members and an inability of anyone to investigate this.
- Proxy voting for entire organizations.
- In some cases some people have a collection of these youth clubs/ educational proxy votes (one board member held 5 organizations voting cards one year).

In order to truly be one person one vote I would suggest the following:
- A club must collect the signature of each person it can represent at the AGM, this will make the members aware they are being represented. They will get the number votes that have signatures beside them.
- Only one organization/club voting card per person. A person may not represent multiple clubs (with the exception of board members, but the limit should be two)
- At the AGM publish the number of potential votes (card carrying ICU members) each club has and the number they have collected signatures for, and who is carrying the voting card for the club.

seanmc

Post by seanmc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Was the most recent ADM the first one with the "1 person - 1 vote" policy in place?

At the last ADM, everyone getting a voting card had their name checked against the membership list, so is that akin to a club collecting the signature of each person they can represent?

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Dear Club Secretary,

As the situation develops in Canoeing Ireland I am mindful of the absence of any direct communication
between the Board or General Manager of Canoeing Ireland and the affiliated clubs and as a result
I feel having been directly elected to the board and Executive in November 2011 the least I should do is
explain to those who elected me why I resigned on December 12th last.

Kind Regards.

Mark Clinton
Attachments
CanoeIrelandAnAnalysis4.pdf
(87.29KiB)Downloaded 784 times

orky

Post by orky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 am

Brendan for the record the whitewater league those not wish to be associated with ci or ifs.we wish to be a seperate entity. Ci decided we were under their remit without any consultation with the league, its organisers or its competitors

annie

Post by annie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Orky I think at least one of the league events (possibly two?) requires CI membership so there is some association in that context, with individual events though not with the league (I think).

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:51 am

GalwayFest has always stated its desire to be officially recognised by Canoeing Ireland and has, for both years of its existence provided insurance to those competing who have CI membership which was the vast majority. This year CI also provided us with bibs, a great help! Thanks on behalf of the 110 competitors!

Oh and good to know that freestyle did receive funding, I was not aware. Hopefully the lion's share is going towards grass root development of the sport.

Lets just go boating!