Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Ireland

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Re: Resignation of President and Executive of Canoeing Irela

Post by Seanie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:09 pm

Thank for you post Niall. I agree with your points. But, I'm so far out of the loop at this stage (I'm in the US two years this january) the question would be best addressed at others in this thread. I'm afraid I'm simply a spectator roaring at the telly at this point.

kev

Post by kev » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am

The next step by the remaining board will be very interesting. Are they going to hold an EDM? or will they try and circumvent that.

Its momentous that the executive have resigned and yet so far not even a holding statement from the ICU, doesn't really inspire confidence.

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:05 am

cliste

Post by cliste » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Any idea if/when we'll hear what was the motion that was discussed?

Thanks!

annie

Post by annie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:39 pm

Well as you may have noticed there seems to be plenty of speculation here, supposedly "attacking the opinion not the person". I'm not sure all the "anonymous" posters there read that message.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2056838451

geo

Post by geo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 pm

The board size at present may be worth confirming, as Conor Murray also resigned on the 21st of December.

Geo

cliste

Post by cliste » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:22 pm

annie wrote:Well as you may have noticed there seems to be plenty of speculation here, supposedly "attacking the opinion not the person". I'm not sure all the "anonymous" posters there read that message.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2056838451
You should have seen the trainwreck that was the original thread!

someone mentioned the minutes of the meeting is when we'll find out, any idea when they will be released?

kev

Post by kev » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:15 pm

The last board meeting minutes on the website are from October so I wouldn't put to much store in them going up.

Interesting that Karl Dunne seems to have signed the CRO registration forms for the two new directors as a Director.

geo

Post by geo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Relying on the minutes probably won't reveal much as inaction on publising the minutes was one of the issues causing frustration, even though they had had been agreed by the board at the last meeting. In order to agree the minutes there has to be a board meeting, but the memo and arts. of the organisation do not legislate for an executive resigning. The remaining board who could attend met on December 17th to deal with the issue of whether an EDM had to be called or if the board could continue as it was. Hence, the likelyhood of minutes being published are probably low.

The outcome of the december 17th meeting (I did not attend) was that that the board decided that they could continue and a statement was agreed. Initially the board members names were listed, but I refused to sign the statement, as the only option that I saw that was clear was the calling of an EDM. My refusal caused disquiet as this decision was carried by a vote hence 'it was a board decision' and it was more or less put to me "step up or ship out". There was a long delay in issuing a statement and some members sought a copy of the legal advice that recommended that the course of action being taken was appropriate. This was not forthcoming, and the statement was altered a number of times and no copy of legal advice was forthcoming to board members, though we were assured initially that there was no issue.

An inability to issue a statement or to be furnished with the legal opinion, did not bode well. This single issue which took the remaining board a week to issue a statement, does not bode well for its ability to run the organisation in the future. The CRO document further verifies this, as in the rush to appoint further company directors, there was no check to verify that the previous director had resigned. It would appear that in the head long rush to avoid going to the membership simple governance may be once again thrown to the wind. Within the current structure is is difficult to move things forward as the memo and arts have not evolved with the organisation.

One of the previous poster's metioned that if memebers are interested, yes they can get their clubs to call an EDM, it takes 10 clubs. Some posters on other forums, appear to be fed up, with the turmoil, etc.,then take some action. It is apparent at this stage that the board is not fit for purpose, which makes the options either re-organise or seek a motion to wind up the company and hence the organisation in its current format.

Geo

cliste

Post by cliste » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:07 am

geo wrote:One of the previous poster's metioned that if memebers are interested, yes they can get their clubs to call an EDM, it takes 10 clubs. Some posters on other forums, appear to be fed up, with the turmoil, etc.,then take some action. It is apparent at this stage that the board is not fit for purpose, which makes the options either re-organise or seek a motion to wind up the company and hence the organisation in its current format.

Geo
Joe Paddler Soap doesn't know/care about the running of the ICU though.

The real issue is that while some people know of issues in the ICU this isn't communicated out to the members. In this case for instance I only have the word of this forum to go by...

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 pm

ICU seems to have too much baggage to be a good representative for Irish paddling. The TDU should split from the organisation and membership fees should go directly to them until such a time as they sort out their many issues.

Petition anybody?

AndrewR

Post by AndrewR » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Re above:

Just an opinion based on talking to a lot of people. Don't know if this is even at all plausible. Just seems that people should be given an option of where their membership fee goes. To the whole Union or to the Development of recreational kayaking. Maybe this is already possible. If it is, I will become a member of that.