Etiquette: Pint Rescue (or swim beers) vs Swim Bootie

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:33 pm

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crA4K8Ded1M]Swim Bootie[/youtube]
If someone swam and got rescued, then If they do a "Swim Bootie" does that cancel their obligation to get a pint or beers (pint rescue)for the rescuer(s)/group?

Is there a club that will put this up as a discussion topic at the ICU AGM? This is of the up most importance and needs to get sorted before the upcoming season.
How does it work in other clubs?

PS. Some people say pint rescues have to be agreed before you get on the water? ..

canned

Re: Etiquette: Pint Rescue (or swim beers) vs Swim Bootie

Post by canned » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Swim bootie.... yuk! I think I'd get sick if I drank anything out of my river shoes. Teva Sunkosis won't hold anything long enough to drink from it anyway!

I don't think it should cancel it out. To add another side - Should the swimmer be buying for everyone involved? eg. if someone swims and I get their boat, someone else gives a stern carry, a third picks up paddles and then they accept a throwbag at the end - does everyone get beer???

Also - if you're in France or somewhere where the beer is cheap, should it be a swim crate seeing as you can get a crate for the same price as an Irish pint!?

mike jones

Post by mike jones » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:50 am

The whole idea of the swim bootie originated in norway (i think), where beer is expensive. To my knowledge the idea is that the swimmer drinks the 'bootie' and negates the need to purchase each of the rescuers involved a beer. The drinking of the 'bootie' is also a way of honouring the river gods to maintain good karma for future trips on the river, some norwegians are very supresticious in this regard.
If the swim beer rule is in operation then each person involved in the rescue should be provided with a beverage of the alcoholic variety from the aforementioned swimmer on the evening following the swim, in the alps this may take the form of a case of stubbies.
But to be fair this is like playing pool, house rules apply and you have to decide on what the rule on the black is before you break off!

muirs

Post by muirs » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 am

canned wrote:To add another side - Should the swimmer be buying for everyone involved? eg. if someone swims and I get their boat, someone else gives a stern carry, a third picks up paddles and then they accept a throwbag at the end - does everyone get beer???
Absolutely. Plus, anyone else who runs the same drop / rapid and cleans it gets a beer too. At least that's the way it's done in the PRC.

Muireann

annie

Post by annie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Swim bootie is a horrible horrible idea... it would probably do more damage to your health than the average swim in Irish rivers would! I'd be of the house rules apply perspective cos people have different views... and also I'd be inclined to leave newbies on their first Grade 2 river trips out of it.

If someone tries to rescue you and fails abysmally, leaving you to rescue yourself, is it the thought that counts?

roche

Post by roche » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Its a very simple system in PRC as Muireann said.

If you accept a swim beer from a fellow paddler your conscripted for life. No way out, unless like me you don't paddle that much anymore!!
Any swim you take when that person successfully paddles the full river (on the same trip) you owe them. Running the river a few hours later when it has dropped doesn't qualify for swim beers.
If you pick up someone from another group, or not included in swim beers, then there is no obligation for them to buy you beer.

Ian