Helmet Cams

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Grassey
Helmet Cams

Post by Grassey » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Looking to get me a wired set up (wireless ones can be handy but quality vs duration...nah)
Was thinking about this one

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog ... amera.html

Or does anyone know of any other good alternatives??? pretty much looking in the 200-350 bracket,
though i have read that there is meant to be some new waterproof bulletcam tech coming out early sept thats meant to make all other cams look obsolete... if anyone knows any more on this???

J.K.

Re: Helmet Cams

Post by J.K. » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:03 pm

See if you can grab Mike Sweeney on the UL board.

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm

One of the lads from Kilkenny bought one from these guys and it worked quite well.
http://www.helmetcamera.com/

Make sure you camera has "AV in". otherwise it wont work!!

Brian

Post by Brian » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:32 pm

I have the 520 with low light chip from action cameras.
Illl post up some video from it at some stage.
I find the quality to be very good but the sound is shit.
Buy it with a rechargeable battery pack if youre getting one.
They have a new one out now with a zoom feature which looks very sweet

canned

Post by canned » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:05 pm

Mike's setup is a video camera in a variant of a peli case with waterproof gromit thingys to sire directly to his helmet camera.

One of the other lads has been considering the type that plugs directly into his Archos media player which seems a good option but not sure on quality....

MikeS

Post by MikeS » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:55 am

Hey,
I think the wired options do have much better quality, in saying that i have seen one of those all in one jobs that record to the media cards and they seemed ok quality. But these do record in Mpeg4 so really not brill for editing purposes. Make sure your video camera has AV in.

I have a Viosport H2O cam http://www.viosport.com Got mine at a special price and quality is excellent at 480TVL,
The one from Action Cams seems really good, alot of the helmet cams are advertised as water proof but are uaually only rain proof, try get something with an IP rating usually anything with IP68 rating is as waterprrof as you'll get.

The tricky part of the wired ones is trying to connect to your video camera and keep your waterproof case dry at the same time. First off i tryed using Std waterproof gromets, they do keep eveything sealed but very awkward as your always attached to the waterprrof case and awkward when your getting changed if you want to keep the wires tidy. My new setup is using waterproof plugs. You build a little neat waterproof socket into your case then you wire your headcam into a plug. I also used a remote control (LANC) for my video camera, i also waird this into the same plug. Its pretty neat but if i was doing it again i'd also wire in an external power switch for the headcam.
I have a few photos of the setup i can email to you if you want, drop me a PM or email [email protected]

ActionFull

Post by ActionFull » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 am

I have 2 action cameras i bought from GadgetsQuick. It's ATC 2000 and ATC 5K. I am willing to sell any one of it. It can be mounted on a helmet.

Danger Mouse

Post by Danger Mouse » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:41 am

Hey, Check out this puppy. http://helmetcameracentral.com/
scroll down for video examples.

DM

aqualung

Post by aqualung » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:08 am

How much u lookin 4 d 5k.

Cheers