Clare River Help.

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

swanboat
Clare River Help.

Post by swanboat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi To All,

I am new to this whitewater form, so go easy on me! I dont have a canoe or kayak and have no experience using them.

Ever since i saw your man on telly, ya know the guy who did a wonderful wildlife series where he canoed around the shannon looking at the flora and fauna, i have said to myself, one day i would love to get into a canoe or kayak and make my way down the River clare.
My goal is to start at the beginning of the river clare which i think is up around glenamaddy and make my way back to galway.
I am looking for some advice on how i could achieve this, how long it would take and what i need to know about doing it.

Regards,

Andy.

annie

Re: Clare River Help.

Post by annie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:08 pm

You should consider joining a club and learn how to paddle a canoe or kayak before undertaking any type of trip. Galway Kayak Club might be your best bet as some of the members paddle on various stretches of the Clare. For safety reasons you should probably make your trip with at least two other people, so you will need other canoeists to accompany you in any case.

A similar question was asked a while back as you can see here: http://forum.iww.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1052

I would strongly recommend that you do not simply go off yourself with no skill or local knowledge of hazards on the river.

swanboat

Re: Clare River Help.

Post by swanboat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Annie,

Thanks for replying to my post and for all your info. I had no intention of just getting into a kayak an heading off myself (Mad and all as i am).