traveling down the full length of the Inny river

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

scottm
traveling down the full length of the Inny river

Post by scottm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi follks,

I live at the top end of the inny river by lough Deraveragh. I just bought 3 Zpro inflatable Kayaks for my family and would like to know if it is possible to kayak/canoe the entire length from lets say the lake by me to lough Ree. It looks possible on the map but i was wondering if anybody has attempted this. If so how long did it take? is it a safe enough river to travel with my wife and three kids age 11-14. I sail but just got the bug to start paddling and would like to make the journey down to lough Ree where we keep the sailboat. Any info would be much aprreciated.

Best regards

Scott :?: :?: :?: :)

ruairi og

Re: traveling down the full length of the Inny river

Post by ruairi og » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

if you get in contact with inny kayak club they could tell you what the river is like. also check out-
http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_gu ... php?id=309

scottm

Post by scottm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm

yea cheers for that. I will give them a shout before i make the attempt but was hoping someone would have made the trip already. I will post as much info as possible following my trip down the river just encase anyone else would like to do it.

Scott

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Scott I would urge you to not to go on this trip unless you are 100% sure its safe and you have taken a basic kayaking course. Even the most calm river or sheltered lake imaginable can pose a lethal risk.

For details about courses and club please contact Canoe Ireland:
http://canoe.ie/en-us/information/about ... tails.aspx

dave f

Post by dave f » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi Scott,

I agree with Seanie on this, don't do this without some proper training and some experienced leadership. I am paddling for 8 years, I am a qualified instructor and a former club safety officer, I have completed a number of river safety & rescue courses. I am not trying to boast or posture here, but based on my experience, I would consider this proposed trip for your level of experience and equipment as being risky.

Even with basic kayaking skills you will lack other skills such as river reading, safety & rescue. Also, inflatable kayaks are not advisable for Weirs and rapids...not sure if they apply to the Inny (never ran that river myself). Further to that, you will need safety equipment (ropes, first aid, towing harness, spare paddle, family equipped for cold water immersion, etc.). Imagine for example if you took a swim, can your family rescue you and get you back in the boat? What if you lose a paddle? These are very normal scenarios, even for flat water.

I'm sure you're very competent from the sailing, but this is a different type of craft & environment from what you are already used to. Most people get into difficulty because they did not understand what they were taking on. As Seanie has already said, speak with your local kayak club or with Canoe Ireland before actually doing this. They might offer to help or guide you...you never know if you don't ask.

Sorry to rain on your parade

Dave

Alex

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi there,

I would be happy to help you out. I have been paddling the Inny since 1989 and have paddled the section you are talking about plenty of times. We are based in Ballymahon and can be contacted at the following address and phone number. http://www.outdoordiscovery.ie 0872721245

Cheers
Alex Stanley