Owenfeanna River, Co. Kerry

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
Owenfeanna River, Co. Kerry

Post by Seanie » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Have any of you run this before or heard of anyone running it?
http://www.irishwhitewater.com/river_gu ... php?id=967
If anyone has paddled this could they let me know, we had never heard of the run until we were scoping over an OS map of the area because we were drunk and looking to paddle the next day over new years. It’s well worth a run with water on it and could be run a number of times in a day.

dave g

Re: Owenfeanna River, Co. Kerry

Post by dave g » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 pm

was here a couple of times,first new years eve 2004, and then sometime the next year at low level.
It's one serious river at high level, still fun low but I've never been here in a good medium flow.
IF you're anywhere near- GO DO IT!!!!!!!!!

Notes on first run:
We did have some serious reservations about the level guidance given in the guidebook.
The book says if you can just about paddle at the mid point bridge to go for it.
When we arrived it had been raining about an hour and there was virtually nothing under the bridge.
So off to the pub for an hour...... by which time it was just do-able under the bridge.
When we got to the put in we found a raging torrent, much harder than the 4- we expected.
( we reckoned at least grade 5 with a couple of 5+ and some really munchy holes)
We ran the top 500metres- the adrenaline rush lasted for days. but most of the lads felt it was too much and just did safety for us.
Good slide type rapids in upper section with several must make moves to avoid big stoppers.

canned

Re: Owenfeanna River, Co. Kerry

Post by canned » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Not 100% sure but i think this is the run that Conor Bredin and Dave O'Sullivan ran on New Year's eve this year. Conor raved about it being a quick andcontinusous grade 3/3+ but Dave seemed less excited! I think it may have been to do with the map reading skells shown on the way there!