Gauge down on the Boluisce

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

J.K.
Gauge down on the Boluisce

Post by J.K. » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:25 am

As of the 19th of june, and possibly before, the gauge on the Boluisce in Spiddal, Galway, ain't working. I figure it to be vandalism, but Seanie thinks it's just flood debris. What do ye think?
Anyway, it's still b0rked, and looks to me to need replacement rather than repair. The metal mounts holding it in place are broken, and the bottom of the gauge proper has been broken off, around the 1.0m mark. Anyone know who to get on to about this kind of thing?

Full size images here

rlynch

Re: Gauge down on the Boluisce

Post by rlynch » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:20 pm

I emailed the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland to see if they might know who's responsibility the gauge is…
Hello,

I am a paddler with NUI Galway Kayak Club and it has been recently noticed that the gauge on the Boluisce River in Spiddal, Co. Galway has been damaged due to either vandalism or flood debris. In any case, it appears to be beyond repair.

Since I don\'t know whose responsibilty these gauges are, I was hoping that you might be able to point my in the right direction with regard to having the gauge restored. Do you know if there is there a particular body that I could contact?

Many thanks in advance,
Ross Lynch
and received the following:
Ross
Greetings.

I don't know either, as it's not one of the rivers that are
navigations, but I know that the Environmental Protection Agency
maintains a register of active and obsolete hydrometric gauging
stations in Ireland. I've had a look at it, and I can't find the
Boluisce River listed, but "L Boliska" is there as an obsolete "Staff
Gauge only" run by Galway County Council.

The best thing might be if you had a look at the list to check that
this matches what you want, and then get in touch with the county
council. I've taken the liberty of attaching the file --- an Excel
file of 782kb --- but you can also download it from

http://www.epa.ie/downloads/pubs/water/ ... 45,en.html

Best wishes
Brian J Goggin
So maybe it would just be a matter of getting on to the Council and letting them know that's it's been damaged. Although the cynic in me says that might be outrageously optimistic, but you never know…

Ross
We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded!

Seanie

Post by Seanie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Kernel Just so you know the one that is being referred to in that reply, "L Boliska" is the gauge below the dam.

I'd say the OPW are in charge of the level meter at the bridge.

J.K.

Post by J.K. » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Good work Ross, fair play. That file is a damn handy reference point for paddlers, I wonder if we could get access to some of that data.