ICU EGM Request Response

Irish Kayaking and Canoeing discussion forum.

Moderators:Seanie, EoinH

Seanie
ICU EGM Request Response

Post by Seanie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:00 pm

I received this from one of the clubs contacted by the ICU, I don't know when it was sent out:
ICU Board wrote: Re: EGM Request

I wish to confirm that in excess of 10 ICU registered clubs have sent a communication through Ms. Rachael Lynne all of which state: “The ICU Club listed below is seeking the convening of an Emergency General Meeting of the Irish Canoe Union in accordance with the provisions of Articles 21, 22(ii), 23 and 24 of the ICU Articles of Association”

The tenth valid application was received on the 12th March 2011. These were considered at a scheduled Board Meeting held on Wednesday 6th April 2011, arising from which I am to advise you as follows:
  1. The Board notes your request for “an Emergency General Meeting of the Irish Canoe Union in accordance with the provisions of Articles 21, 22(ii), 23 and 24 of the ICU Articles of Association”. However, the Articles referred to make no such provision.
  2. Notwithstanding what the Board understands to be an error on the part of the individual who drafted the communication for the various clubs in question, the Board is prepared to convene an Extraordinary General Meeting in accordance with Article 24 of the ICU’s Articles of Association in the following circumstances.
  3. The calling of an EDM ,at an appropriate time, was something that the Board had in its mind in any event.
  4. The Board notes your motions as follows:
    • Motion A
      The ICU Club listed below calls on the ICU Board to provide a forum for debate at this EGM to discuss the possible financial, operational and reputational risks to which the Irish Canoe Union may have become exposed as a result of decisions made by the ICU Board.
      Motion B
      The ICU Club listed below call for a vote of no confidence in the ICU Executive.
  5. In order to progress the wishes of the requisite number of Clubs seeking a meeting the Board is prepared to convene such a meeting provided the Board receiving by the close of business on Friday 15th April 2011 a formal and detailed explanation, from each of clubs requesting an EGM, in respect of the following two questions:
    1. What are the decisions that were allegedly made by the Board that expose the ICU to risk, as referred to, in Motion A?, and
    2. Why a motion of no confidence in the ICU Executive is being put by these clubs, as referred to, in Motion B?
This information is essential in order that the Board and Executive members accused of wrongdoing are made aware of the nature of the allegation or complaint against them, and to enable them to prepare a defense in accordance with the principles of natural justice.

The Board will consider the replies at a meeting to be convened in week commencing Monday 18th April 2011 with a view to convening a Extraordinary meeting in accordance with the Articles of Association of the ICU (Canoeing Ireland)
I look forward to receiving your clubs considered response by return.

Yours in Sport

(156.22KiB)Downloaded 477 times

Seanie

Re: ICU EGM Request Response

Post by Seanie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 pm

My guess is that Ms Lynne will have found it more difficult to get 10 clubs to outline their support for a motion of no confidence in the ICU Executive. Most of the people I have communicated with within those clubs weren't aware that they were supporting such a motion in the first place.

They simply wanted an EGM to be updated by the ICU and have an opportunity to question the ICU board about their actions and the issues that have arisen. Some are satisfied with the ICU statement that was issued in March and no longer feel the need for an urgent EGM.